Friday, June 6, 2008

888ATA WC - March 06 2008

As soon as Marzocchi signed on, Andy, Jerome, Khaner and I all ordered new forks for the DH bikes. Jerome, Khaner and I had been running Boxxer WC's and Andy was running a Fox 40. Honestly, we were all a bit skeptical about the new 888 from a racing perspective. We had all loved Marzocchi from a maintenance standpoint: you didn't have to do any. They last forever. I've personally had at least 15 different Marzocchi forks over the years and they've essentially been maintenance free. So, that got us excited. The true test was when we went to SC for a DH ride and tested out the new 888s. We were pleasantly surprised. Compared to the Boxxer, the 888 had a lot more lateral stiffness. I especially noticed it going through ruts that followed the line of the trail. Instead of my front wheel being sucked into the rut and having it take me for a ride, my front end tracked through it, and down the path of my choosing. The only slight sacrifice is about a pound in weight. Going balls out Downhill, that shouldn't be an issue. In the pic, you'll notice the 2005 V10 that was passed on from Jerome to me (for a reasonable price, of course). At this point we were all still waiting on our 08 frames to show up, and Keith was waiting to buy this frame from me. Gotta keep it in the family.

No comments: