Tuesday, May 19, 2009

CCCX #5 - May 17,2009

Khaner and I got up at 5:30 and had the car packed and rolling by a few minutes after 6. With one toilet stop in Salinas, we made it to Toro Park just before 8am. I figured James would have beaten us out there, but he actually pulled in front of us just as we were exiting Highway 68. 

Once we were set up and up the hill, the temperatures went up as well. Most of the other kids race out there on a regular basis, so they needn't even hike to the top of the fire-roads. But, it had been awhile for me, so i hiked up and did two runs on the top section up to the transition into the trees. Khaner went up with me on the second run. Keith and Tony practiced the lower sections. The hardest thing for me at first was the new section of trail that ducked into the brush and was a bunch of loose dirt and dust. I'm pretty sure Defeibre had just cut that line a few days before, and it rode like it. You basically slid into the first corner which was a pile of dust, then slid into the next one trying to hold speed enough to keep your feet on the pedals to make it into the tight s-berm switch back section with a little speed. I had a decent few runs through that section, but nothing great. Tony looked really fast as did Alan. Keith was having tire troubles and went down to get that figured out. Khaner sat and watched other riders through the s-berms and I took a few more runs with Justin. We were the only two of the group clipped in... which for me, proved later to be a mistake.

I hadn't rode clipless in a race in at least a couple of years, and this course was like marbles, so probably not the best time to be attached to your bicycle. But, oh well, I committed to it and there was no turning back. 

Come time for racing, the sun hit mid-sky and was not yielding much shade. Luckily Phil loaned us the big RideSFO easy-up for the day to stay out of the sun. Regardless, the walk up was a bit grueling and hot. And we were a bit slow, so walking up the course probably wasn't a good idea.

Racing started just as we were a hill away from the starting straight. We were respectful of riders coming down the course and managed to stay way out of the way. 

Once at the top, the line was a bit long and slow. The heat was brutal. The bugs were attacking and there was no shade except for inside the poison oak. Perfect way to start a race. Luckily I had a bit of water and kept my mouth wet. Keith, Alan and Tony went off a bit before us. I went, then Khaner and Justin.

One of the great things about CCCX is the fact that they let you go in pretty much whatever order you want. So, you get up there, get in line and go. No standing and waiting for people to show up or numbers to be called. I also have to say, that while the timing system is a bit archaic, the coordination and accomodation of Rod, the timing dude, is awesome. Its one of the things that keeps me coming back and makes me wish I could hit more races out there. He's always on it, and politely will show you your division and your time however many times you ask. I've never been to a race series where the timing official lets you stand over his shoulder and look at times, and then will scroll through the spreadsheet and show you whatever you want to see. 

As far as runs go, mine was tolerable. No crashes, no cuts or bruises. I managed to stay on the bike the whole day. But, I had one major mistake which cost me probably a good 8 seconds or so. Coming out of the loose dusty section, I had to take my foot off, or it popped out... can't remember exactly, but the problem was that it wouldn't go back in. Or rather, I couldn't get it into the right spot. So, through the whole s-berm section, one of the most crucial sections on the course, I was one-footed and not hitting my line. I managed to get clipped back in after that section and all was good for awhile. I had only ridden the bottom section once that day and had never raced to the finish line they had set up. So, around each turn I wasn't sure what was coming. When i got to the finish line it came out of nowhere. I managed to make the turn through the creek and up the embankment, but wasn't in the right gear. I managed to finish 4th with a 3:11:61. Some shirtless dude was pretty proud of himself a few minutes later when he finished with the same time. Me, not so much.

Tony managed a 3:00:45 which was good enough for 2nd in Jr. Expert. Justin came through with a 3:04:11 for 5th place. Khaner came down with a 3:14:26 on his big bike. Not too shabby. I'm sure he was faster than me though the tech sections, but struggled through the pedally ones. Khaner's time got him 8th. 

Keith had washed out in the middle section and came off his bike. He pulled out a 2:55 and just missed a podium with 6th place in Pro. Alan had an incredible run and clocked the fastest time of the day to win the pro class at 2:49:68. He edged out John Hauer (a seasoned pro) and Defeibre by a few seconds.  In practice Alan was railing the s-berm section. Justin made a comment to me that he looked like a slot car going through there. When I saw him, it made me want my 510's and my flats. I think throwing a foot out in each turn was the way to go.

Justin ended up doing Pixie class on his little 16 inch bike and got 1st out of... 1 rider. I'm sad that I missed his finish, though. He went OTB into the creek 10 feet before the line. Nice job dude.

After all was sad and done, it was a good day of race practice. We need to do more of these things to get ready for Nationals in July. These races have propelled Keith to the top of the Jr. Expert division and are a huge value. Hopefully we can make race #6.

No comments: